Thursday, April 12, 2012

Do you believe in angels?

My helper, Coonie :-)
Alright, I understand that I have been posting a lot about wood burning and signs but that is what I have been making...so either I don't post at all or I post about a similar craft? Clearly I choose the latter. YIPPY!

So last night as I was sipping some delicious vino I thought it a perfect time to bust out my new wood burner and completely fill my house with the scent of fire (not always the best idea...but most of the time it is!). Minus a small immediate blister I got from touching the scorching hot metal to my fragile human skin and a fire alarm mishap, I think the night was pretty successful.
Sign before the feather

I had decided on the phrase "Believe in angels" since I was recently reminded of just how fragile life is. The phrase wasn't enough though. The sign looked incomplete to me so I went through a few scenarios of how to enhance it (paint? no. stain? maybe. wood burned graphic? YES!).

Sketched graphics
Next phase of this craft began. How do I wood burn something other than letters? Hmmm...lets just give it a go! So I designed two different graphics on plain white paper that were possibilities for the sign, some wings or a feather. I then loosely cut out the shapes and placed them on the sign in various places to decide which one worked better and where I would ultimately place it. The feather won this battle but I still had the trouble of figuring out how to make it look soft like a feather while using a tool that specializes in making hard straight lines...?
Feather complete

Instead of wasting time trying to change the tip on the wood burner (which probably would have been a lot easier) I decided to just go for it  (probably the wine talking) and see what happened! I ended up using the side of the wood burner tip to create a shading effect instead of the harsh lines. It came out just fine (I think) and I am really happy with the final result. I hope you believe in angels too!

Eat, Craft, and Believe :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment