Friday, March 9, 2012

Chicks go peep-peep-peep!

Lovely display method :-)
Spring is an exciting time for crafts. There are so many little holidays that need to be celebrated and decorated for. There is St. Patrick's day (which will have it's very own post when I get the supplies for that craft) and also Easter (there are plenty more but these are my focus for now). When I think of Easter I picture bunnies, and baby chicks, and pretty eggs, and children wearing pastel colored dressed and hats! I almost never think of candles, but VOILA we are making Easter Egg Candles! (I would like that to be read in the style of Oprah, thanks!)

So I do not think that I need to get into the logistics of dying eggs, that seems to be a pretty simple topic that I am sure you can figure out. Feel free to color them and design them any way you would like, but just keep in mind that we are going to be breaking these delicate little nuggets in half ( and if you are anything like me, only one half will survive this step).

Egg candle example
Supplies would include but are not limited to :an old candle that no longer will burn but has plenty of wax left (annoying right?), dyed Easter eggs (and everything that goes along with that process including the blowing out of the actual egg), a bit of wick string (I do not know what you would call that...I am a horrible instructor) and a little patience with your blogger :-) for she is not very organized today.

Highly technical way of melting candles
OK lets get started. Blow out and dye your eggs (this might be a good craft for after Easter and just use those already done eggs, what else are you going to do with them?). Now carefully crack your egg in half. I actually unsuccessfully tried this several times and found that the best way to complete this horrid task without destroying your entire project was to simple break away chunks using the hole you created to drain the egg (again my tutorial is a little spotty).  Now the fun part! Place the no longer awesome candle (that is in a glass container) into a pan with a little water in it and set it on LOW heat (you do not want this glass bomb to explode in your kitchen). Once the wax is melted, place the wick string into your egg and pour in the wax. TA-DA! I found that placing the egg into the egg carton was the best way to assure that it would stay upright and not spill during the drying process.

NOTE: I do not think that these would really be practical candles to burn! They are unstable and will spill and set your entire home a flame! But they are pretty decorations :-)

Eat, Craft, and buy a fire extinguisher!

No comments:

Post a Comment