Friday, March 16, 2012

Shamrocks and... Bleach??

Per usual, I have decided to start to write my blog entry before the craft is complete. Needless to say the craft does not always go to plan and I end up reinventing the blog or sometimes the craft to make it work. Today I feel is going to be one of those days.

Use a stack of newspaper
to prevent running of bleach
I started out with the idea that I wanted to create my very own St. Patrick's day t-shirt. I have worn the "Kiss me I'm Irish" and those sorts of typical green garb, but I wanted to switch it up this year. To the drawing board I went (aka Pinterest) and boy did I hit a pot o' gold! ( Let's see how many St. Patty's day references I can make!). The idea was to use a bleach pen to remove the rainbow( "Clever girl"- name that movie...) of colors from your wardrobe. (Find the original idea here, since mine is not working out very well!). So I found a plain green t-shirt and a pen o' bleach and thought my quest twas complete. Whale Oil Beef Hooked! :-)
Attempt numero uno

The bleach pen proved to be faulty (I know this because I have watched it sit on the green shirt in the pattern of a shamrock and nothing is happening for 20 minutes now! what the blarney stone!) Let the troubleshooting begin! I assume that the bleach pen is old and therefore ineffective as a color destroying agent.
Gallon of liquid color death

Bring in the big guns! That's right folks, I am placing straight bleach onto a shirt ( that I did intend on wearing again) and hoping it is not COMPLETELY destroyed! Oh the things I do for crafts! So the straight fabric eating bleach is on the shirt now. I applied it with a simple paint brush. I did use the gel from the bleach pen to create a kind of outline so the liquid bleach of death didn't seep into the entire shirt! Clock is ticking starting now. If this does not work I will simple chalk it up to the fact that Wal-mart apparently makes indestructible clothing (yeah right).

Color Removed!
Now that the bleach has sat for 30 minutes I have finally seen the color begin to fade! Victory is mine! For future crafters, try and buy a brand spankin' new bleach pen (NOT COLOR SAFE...duh!) and you might be able to avoid the mishaps that I have encountered!


 Eat, craft, and try not to get pinched! 

No comments:

Post a Comment