Saturday, March 24, 2012

Wreath Mania!

I realize that I have taken a small sabbatical from the blog, but I have a perfectly good reason. The weather in New England has been extraordinarily warm, ice out on the local lake was even declared yesterday (earliest EVER on record...global warming? Nah!). So I have been enjoying the glow of the closest star to earth (the sun!) and ignoring my time consuming baby blog. Apologies world.

Today's creation :-)
To the craft! Today I decided (well actually I decided yesterday that I would blog, but the time frame is irrelevant) that I would create! Create what? Well the change in seasons has got me springing into spring at warp speed so a new wreath was in order (no more Christmas greens in this house!). Ideas began to hop around my brain and it was off to the dollar store for this crafty salamander! Inevitably I came up with several ideas and will blog about all of them in due time (or closer to Easter for one in particular! hehe) Today I want to share with all of you the absolute coolest wreath in the history of the universe! Wait for it........ a book page wreath! (Find the original version here) So exciting!!! AHHHH! I can't even contain my excitement!(I sense that others might not be as enthusiastic as I am, oh well, it is my blog!)
Supplies

Begin wreath (note: 'wr' is a weird letter combo) craft now. Supplies cost me a total of ONE DOLLAR (no joke, I literally only 'spent' 100 pennies on this craft). You will need (and might need to buy) a foam wreath, a glue gun, a ton of glue sticks, a razor blade, some brown paint, enthusiasm (should be free) and a book. The book is very important though. It was hard to choose a book to destroy because I love reading and have so many favorite books (I am also my mothers daughter though and tend to hoard a little bit) so a book had to die.  Into my hoards of college books I went (Little known fact, I was an English minor, surprise!) and a jewel I did discover! Wilderness and the American Mind by Roderick Nash (is that how you even cite a book? I learned nothing at school) was the perfect book for my project. It was earthy, and wilderness oriented and even talked about Lake Winnipesaukee (so now the wreath contained a secret in it's pages), but you can choose any random book you want.

Attaching rolled pages
Now stain the edges of your book to give it a cool rustic and old school feel. Then begin the destruction. Using the razor blade (ever so carefully children! Don't try to cut the book while it is in your lap like a silly goose!) cut out the pages and begin rolling them up. I used the glue gun to add a tack of glue to keep the rolls together and then started attaching them to the foam wreath. Make the first row on the back side of the wreath and then flip it over and add the rolls in rows until it's all done! That's it! You have now created a sweet and unique wreath that is ALL season! I also attached some felt to the back to cover up the back and make it prettier from the other side of the door!

Eat, Craft, and Be Hoppy :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment