Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Crafts, Plagiarism, and Thread...Oh my!

I find that some of the best crafts are the ones that mix several different techniques into one project. Sure it is fun to just write something for a scrap page, but why not embroider it! I got really into embroidered things after the first few creations (Let it snow, and Map Art) and just could not stop incorporating it into my crafts. So when the time came for me to yet again make a present for a good friend I decided to mix embroidery with scrap booking to make a one of a kind gift from the heart.

Project= Complete
Before I get into rambling about the craft I made I would like to travel away on a tangent about quotes(also in a rambling format). So here is the thing with quotes: Using a famous or cited quotes is all good and dandy and I do it frequently, BUT why not make up your own poem or saying and use that instead! Voila, quote yourself! Now don't go out plagiarize the worlds poets and call it your artistic license or whatever you may, but you can use them as inspiration (I think?I'm not to up to date on my plagiarism laws). For instance feel free to look up quotes about love or friendship but instead of using an outdated saying like "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" (author unknown, I checked) change it to something like, "We are never apart for our hearts beat as one"(written by Salamander just now). Yep that was cheesy but at least I wrote it for the craft and I can personalize it that way. I also love to use music lyrics. People forget that underneath all the noise and beats is a handwritten song just waiting to be quoted. OK moving on to the craft now. 

Embroidery thread gone wild
I decided to make a framed scrapbook page for my friends birthday. She loves my crafts and is always excited to be on the receiving end of one. I found this cool quilted looking paper as the base. I then added a Salamander made quote that incorporated quilting and friendship, but instead of just writing it on the paper, I embroidered it! Embroidered paper just looks so cool because you never see it done. It adds a whole new quality to a scrap page that I have grown to love. I also used some punch out letters to emphasize some words and added some different cut outs to complete the quilted look and that was it.  

Take away message of the day: PERSONALIZE YOUR CRAFTS! Write your own quotes, make your own gifts, and always have fun :-)

Eat, Craft, and Be happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment