Friday, January 27, 2012

Curling...like Olympians!

Perfect release
'Curling?' you say. 'Yes, like Olympians.' No I am not going to talk about extreme hair curling. There is no such Olympic sport, that I know of, that involves any hair styling technique. I am talking about CURLING(read up children) a sport played on ice with stones and brooms. Sounds fabulous I know. Fortunately I become a fan of this sport every two years when I get to enjoy its awesomeness from the comfort of my couch. It is the sport that crosses shuffle-board, the strategy of pool, the housewife skill of sweeping, and ice.  (Fun Fact:The first curling club in the United States was established in 1830).
Sweeping
 'Why are we talking about Curling on a crafts blog?'. We are discussing this glorious sport because I, Stevie Salamander, participated in my first curling match last night. Long story small, the local Parks and Rec department decided to start a pick-up league for those interested in this ancient sport and they created there very own 'stones' (the things you score with) using a DIY method. VOILA anyone can now learn the art of curling using crafty ways. 

Me curling :-)
You will need: cement, 16 tea kettles (yep, I said tea kettles, 8 of one color and 8 of a different color), some brooms, and a sheet of ice! That is it!
Tea Kettle Stones


Fill the kettles with the cement. (Regulation stones weigh about 40lb, yours will not). Now read how to play and you are all set.(Curling Basics) You have just created your very own stones for curling!



Eat, Craft, and learn to Curl!

No comments:

Post a Comment