Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mismatch by two-to-too-2?

Today I woke up to a chilly day and found it even chiller inside my home (since I refuse to truly use heat other than to keep pipes and parrots from freezing). In my quest to find warmth I discovered some old knitted crafts of mine and VIOLA a new blog entry!

Back when I was first learning to knit in the round ( a task that took me some time to master) all I wanted to make was mittens. I quickly discovered that I can not follow a pattern to save my life. I commonly decide to increase or decrease using my own methods and spontaneously will do these additions or subtractions out of turn. I also never remember to count rows and therefore making two of anything always is a MISMATCH ADVENTURE!!
First/Worst mittens EVER
After the first few attempts (yes I made several mismatch objects that I still use...don't judge me)at making paired objects I realized that I needed to put more care into my technique and to follow patterns, or at least mark down where (and how many times!) I travel down the unbeaten path. My mittens are not only mismatch, but they do not even fit! They are the tiniest things ever because I somehow believed the pattern was for giant hands and I needed to downsize it. I was wrong.

Leg warmers...note: things that scrunch can be mismatch!

So today's entry is generally a visual approach to viewing some of my mismatch objects and how even when I do not follow a pattern I can still create similar objects. Leg warmers can be mismatch (to an extent) because they scrunch. A helpful bit of knowledge I found. Next I created my wrist warmers which were originally from a pattern but as I went along I decided to venture into the unknown and create my own pattern. The key to success was doing my pattern again for a match!
Wrist Warmers..Ta Da!


TAKE AWAY MESSAGE: Add your own flair to your crafts. Do NOT follow patterns to a T and stress over how many rows you have done (Oh NO! am I on row 13 or 14? or 25? I don't know! AHHHH) Just go with it and make sure you make the same mistakes or purposeful deviations again on your second piece!

Eat, Craft, and Be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment